The Engine 15 Brewing Company has two separate locations in Jacksonville, Florida. The original Engine 15 location sits in a relatively quiet spot, in a strip mall in the heart of Jacksonville Beach. This small brewery is unassumingly housed on the south side of Beach Boulevard, noticeable only by the brightly lit neon signs in the window and row of tables settled outside the front door.
The crew of the original Beach location crafts an ever-rotating selection of original beers for guests to enjoy. Here, you can try a fresh original brew from their 5 barrel brewhouse, try one of their constantly changing selections of guest beers, or even grab a bite to eat from their pub menu.
Upon entering the Engine 15 building, you’ll notice the long bar taking up a lot of space. The bar boasts about 50 tap lines, with many of them pouring original Engine 15 brews. The rest of the taps offer a constant rotation of guest beers from around the world.
If you’re looking to grab a bite to eat, the pub menu isn’t a 5-star restaurant, but it offers a fine selection of tasty snacks, soups, salads, sandwiches, flatbreads, gyros, and desserts that are affordable and delicious. If you’re looking for something to do in town, both Engine 15 locations host a variety of events that can be viewed on the calendar on their website.
The newer Engine 15 location was built in 2014, in the Downtown Jacksonville area. This location was built to be dedicated to brewing Engine 15’s core brands, as well as some of their seasonal and limited brews. The Downtown Brewery and Biergarten location also houses all of the packaging for distribution for the Engine 15 original bottles and kegs. Here, they brew their original product on a custom built 20 barrel brewhouse into 60 barrel tanks.
The building has a reconditioned brick interior with a long natural wood bar. The outdoor space of this location makes for a fun experience, with picnic tables for dining outside and several outdoor games they have to keep you occupied while tasting their beer. The outdoor games include corn hole, horse shoes, bocci ball, a large Connect Four-style game, and a large Jenga-style tower.
This makes for a good time with friends and the activities really are a great way to prevent getting bored. If you’re hungry, this Downtown location frequently has a food truck available to their tap room patrons. You can check for food truck availability on the event calendar on the Engine 15 website.
Engine 15 Brewing Company has 5 signature brews that are available year-round. These brews are the Route 90 Rye Pal Ale, the Old Battle Axe IPA, the 904 Weiss Guy Wheat Ale, the Nut Sack Double Brown Ale, and the J’ville Lager Beer.
- The Route 90 is an amber colored rye beer with citrus and floral notes. Hoppy but not bitter and contains just a hint of spice.
- The Old Battle Axe has pineapple and citrus taste thanks to the summit hops that make up this IPA.
- The 904 Weiss Guy is a Bavarian styled hefeweissen with a cloudy character and notes of clove and citrus.
- The humorously named Nut Sack Double Brown Ale is a dark brown ale with a sweet, nutty taste of caramel thanks to the English malts and modest hops used to make this popular favorite.
- The J’ville Lager Beer is a classic American Lager that the company says is, “brewed the hard way, whatever that means.” This golden lager is an enjoyable treat for fans of the city of Jacksonville and fans of beer.